Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Interactivity #4

Interactivity #4 Spreadsheet


     I chose this particular lesson plan because I have noticed that the media has permeated every corner of students' lives.  I feel that students from a young age need to learn how to deconstruct these media messages in order to navigate the truth and stay away from the biases and half-truths that people glean from the media and advertisements.  From a marketing standpoint I also think that it is necessary for students to understand what goes into making a media message and more importantly why the message was created.  The group aspect of this lesson was also appealing because I believe that students need to be able to constructively discuss their opinions and come to a collaboration authentically without a lot of teacher's influence.  The small oral presentation also forces students to logically explain their opinions to their classmates.
     My standards and strategies do not perfectly align but there could be a case made for each strategy and it would quasi-fit into a standard.  The technologies that I listed were the ideal technologies that I would have in my classroom, however there will be many instances when I do not have the necessary technology at my fingertips.  I would not be 100% guaranteed classroom internet availability for all of my students simultaneously.  There may not be a projector to project my PowerPoint so there may be a chance that I could not show a commercial, I would have to only use still images of media messages.
     I think that this lesson is pretty comprehensive in regards to state standards. In recreating the lesson I tried to hit a variety of standards, to mix up the lesson itself and to make sure students experience different ways of learning - through reading, public speaking and a writing assignment.  I think it would be extremely difficult to hit every objective but a sampling of them is helpful.  I think that Reading and comprehension standards were extremely focal to this lesson.  Language and Speaking were also key - there is a certain language to media messages and that was translated into the students' oral presentations.

No comments:

Post a Comment